Sunday, February 10, 2008

Cooking up a storm

Cold weather outside is my perfect excuse to fire up the oven inside.

Saturday night I whipped up some spinach artichoke dip for Dan and I to enjoy while watching "Hero". Oh...it was amazing. The dip, that is. I'd share the recipe but I don't cook from recipes, so...sorry! I liked the movie a lot too. And the Cap'n Morgan...

Sunday I put an eye of round roast in the oven to slow-cook all day, made hand-mashed champ and organic green bean casserole. This meal tasted so much like childhood Sundays to me that I ate two platefuls and forced myself not to indulge in a third.

This afternoon I wandered into the realm of brownies from scratch. I just cannot help myself from adding health to everything I cook, however. And although I could have easily made a dense, gooey, moist, buttery decadence of a batch of brownies, I "snuck" in pumpkin puree and raisins, while cutting down the sugar and butter called for in the recipe. They're smashing with a glass okf milk, cup of coffee, slathered in natural peanut butter, Fluff, some leftover chocolate frosting, or Cool Whip.

3 comments:

heather said...

mmm!!! give a neighbor a holler next time you feel inspired. i'd hate for you to have to finish all this food off by yourself... :)

Cheeky said...

We were going to invite you guys over for the roast beast, but we were afraid of you getting stranded and freezing to death on the way over. I promise, next time inspiration hits I will call you on the phone and let you know!

Cheeky said...

p.s.--it is now time for me to start an exercise regimen. I have eaten more food in the past 2 days than the past 2 weeks put together. Yikes...