Friday, April 25, 2008

You can look at me like you hate me. I'll look back at you with stubborn resolve at the heart of which is love.
You can narrow your eyes, avert your eyes, refuse to look me in the eye. But when you're ready to look at me, I'll still be looking at you.
You can treat me like I'm not in the room or not even in your life. But I'm not leaving the room, and even if I do, I'm not leaving your life.
You can be silent. Lock yourself away in your room or tap on your keyboard and pretend I don't exist while you while away the minutes, hours, days doing nothing. I'll keep listening to make sure you're there and that you're OK.
You can sob and pull on my heart strings so damn hard I physically hurt standing up tall despite the strain. I'll set the tissue box within your reach, and when you're not looking I'll go sob my heart out too.
You can make me wonder if I really am the bad guy. If I'm evil. If I'm mean for pushing you to do the right thing. For not backing down and letting you get away with being weak or making poor choices. I'm not perfect either, and I know that.

But I will not let you not be a man.

1 comment:

brooke sellers said...

you are a pursuer of hearts. i love this beautiful commitment of yourself to stay in there.