Thursday, May 15, 2008

Super Man cake

Superman Cake!

Liam's birthday theme of choice this year was Super Man. He actually wanted Spider Man, but mom Hoffman didn't have a cake pan that would allow me to easily make a cake of the webbed wonder. This cake pan was one my mom used for my brothers when they were little and I was so excited to make a super cake with Liam and my MIL--who had never used an icing bag before! I think she's hooked, and I think I did pretty well to "let go" and let Liam ice the way he wanted to, and I just gulped and let the glaring brown spot of cake showing on Super Man's belt just stay that way rather than swoop in and fix it.

4 comments:

heather said...

jenna - you're seriously amazing. i can't believe you made that cake - and that you let go and let liam help...you must be an awesome teacher cause it looks fantastic (I never would have noticed the cake on the belt had you not pointed it out!).

promise me you'll give lessons come next fall when i have to make my first b-day cake. :)

Jean said...

fantastic job!! you put my b-day cakes to shame. ;) I'm proud of you and Liam for letting go and letting him enjoy. You should be proud too (of letting go and letting him enjoy). :)

Cheeky said...

Hey Jean, do you think your mom would ever teach us a basic cake decorating class? She's really the master. I just know what I know from watching my mom and working at Baskin Robbins many years ago. And trying things. Most of the fun is coming up with the ideas and then doing them TOGETHER. My brain wants to do it all myself, but I've realized that the carnage that happens isn't worth it--when you find yourself scolding the child whose cake you are decorating for 'getting in the way' while you are making it--it's not worth it. Plus if it looks saggy, baggy, melty, or messed up you can just blame that part on the little one! Whew!

Jean said...

i think a basic cake decorating "class" would be a great idea! I'll ask her her thoughts on this and let you know. :)