Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Naan'n special

I have been on a relentless search for easily accessible Naan bread. A few weeks ago I found these Fabulous Flats Tandoori Naan breads at Meijer!

We DEVOURED them. I seriously fantasize about them. Like how I can run errands and have to get to Meijer to get another package.

I sent Dan grocery shopping last week and meticulously schooled him in exactly where in Meijer I found them (they were all the way on the left in the lower rack of the end-cap of the donut/bagel/rolls display case in front of the bakery--the end cap facing the store entrance, not the one facing the organic food fridge case...etc.) and there were none in that location. I think I had to go through the five stages of grief--shock, anger, denial, sadness, etc...

Yesternight's shopping trip, however, yielded a package of the precious bread, flour and ghee concoction. And I cannot wait for dinner tonight.

I am so excited about cooking and eating chicken masala with jasmine rice and a wonderful piece of warm naan with some melted butter brushed on top. Dan likes his drizzled with olive oil--he's so health conscious!

Let me just say, if you happen to be wandering Meijer and find these babies, for $1.99, you are in for a treat. You can use them to make sandwiches, pizzas, to dip in hummus, as a nice side to a salad, for soup, warmed up and drizzled with honey or agave nectar and some cinnamon for a dessert--the possibilities are endless!

Seriously folks, it is taking all of the self-control in the world right now not to rip this package open and binge right now. This post is my accountability.

p.s.-Brooke--do you have a naan recipe? I'd love to learn to make this, and incorporate some healthier ingredients than the unbleached enriched all purpose white flour this one is made with...

4 comments:

brooke sellers said...

Jenna, that sounds SO delicious!
I have never made Naan before, but now that I have a recipe book of 1000 Indian Recipes, perhaps there's one in there that is either already healthier or could be modified to make it so. I'll check it out and get back to you.

Unknown said...

Sounds soo good! I may have to grab some next time I'm at the store...

Cheeky said...

Oh, they are so worth it. Warm 'em up in the oven or toaster then either rub with some fresh lightly salted butter or drizzle with olive oil and prepare for a little piece of heaven on earth. It's crazy how food can minister to you--especially a carb, huh?

Unknown said...

Hi there. I happened upon your blog because I am a food writer doing a story about flatbread — including new products like those "Fabulous Flats Tandoori Naan," and I found your site through a Google search. I am searching for home cooks to talk to about what they've made with flatbread. Could I get in touch with you? E-mail me at tmleach@gmail.com and I can explain more about what I'm doing. Thanks!