Saturday, January 03, 2009

Friday night on the town

Dan and I totally enjoyed a co-worker's swanky wedding downtown at the Amway Grand on Friday night. I won't recount the play-by-play of the ceremony because Dan did such a good job of it on his blog. I must admit that I did a (very unladylike) arm pump when I saw a woman conducting the ceremony. A local authoress, whose book I thoroughly enjoyed. But that's not what this post it about.

Dan didn't go into details on the food, so I'll do that since I'm either a food nerd or food-addicted.

As we walked up to the Hors d'Oeuvres table, (in my head) I was singing, "chese, glorious cheese!". There was a rather insipid cracker selection, but the plethora of scrumptious cheeses made up for it. I'm not talking cubed cheddar and swiss here, people. Creamy goat cheese rolled in a dried cranberry compote, dilled soft havarti, smoked gouda, green-flecked gorgonzola, and OK, there was some jalapeno jack and yellow cheddar cubed for the beginners. But overall the cheese platter was impressive and sumptuous.

Next in line were Swedish Meatballs. These were a very nice surprise. Usually brown and boring, there was something fresh in the meat mixture (parsley?) coupled with a tangy mustardy-sauce that really made these little guys POP. Hence, many of them were popping into my mouth throughout the night.

The third chafing dish held cod fritters that you could top with a chunky cocktail sauce. These were deep-fried goodness.

Easily recognizeable and surprisingly delectable were the quesadillas. I think the carmelized onions inside gave them a sweet, mellow flavor that made them a little more "dressed up" than one would normally imagine a quesadilla. (Stop read-nunciating it "case-uh-dill-uh" like in Napoleon Dynamite, gosh!)

Lastly were the mini-quiches. Which harbored a nice little surprise in the form of a kalamata olive in the middle.

The wedding cake was fluffy, the fillings were smooth, and the icing was seriously butter. But Dan and I both agreed that we've never had a wedding cake as good as ours was. And we're not just sayin' that. The east coast just killz when it comes to baked goods.

There were lots of smiles at the wedding, and two of them were definitely ours. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and each other sampling the food and beverages the evening provided (and got a good laugh when I realized I was drinking my white and still had a wad of gum tucked behind my molar--of course a spontaneous "Sideways" reference quickly ensued--"are you chewing gum?") dressed in new clothes that might be described as urban chic rather than the highschool/college formals/leftovers we usually don for such occasions, surrounded by good and good-looking people, and still only having eyes for each other.

No comments: