Monday, April 23, 2007

Africoture

All ladies have to wear skirts while we are on the Mully Children's Family campus in June. Then we will leave all our clothes (underwear included) at MCF.

The only skirts I own are wool or denim for fall/winter--way too hot for Africa. I shopped some thrift stores, asked friends and family for light-weight knee-length skirts to take, but came up empty.

So, I went to (shudder) Wal-Mart, got $2.98 worth of fabric off clearance, and am sewing the 3 skirts I will take, wear, then leave. That is less than $1 per skirt!

Here is the first of my labours of love to leave at MCF.

I am a self-taught rogue sewer and don't use patterns--or if I do I make my own. But I am totally enjoying creating and improvising, using math and problem-solving. I think I'll add some pockets to this one and try a different shape/tactic on skirt #2.

3 comments:

amelia said...

As I started reading I thought to myself, "skirts are super easy, she should pull out her sewing machine!" That one looks fabulous!! I've just started trying to do things without patterns. I have too much fabric here, let me know if you need more or if you'd like an Amelia original. :) I'd be happy to help you out! I'm so excited for you and this trip!

Cheeky said...

Oh Amelia--I put some pockets on the front and it's not quite so cute anymore, but I definitely needed the pockets--chapstick in one pocket, Purel in the other.

My second skirt is a bit of a fiasco.

Third one is coming along great, but I needed to quit while I was ahead and sleep on it before I finished it up.

I may be requesting an Amelia original if #3 gets all foofed up!

amelia said...

Pockets are definitely a mom necessity! I'd be happy to make a skirt or 2 for this great cause if you or any of the other gals need some, or just want some extras for giving away. Just let me know! I dig this kind of stuff. And it sounds like you're getting some great practice. How I wish we were just down the street. We could sew together! (well attempt to anyway with the 9 million interruptions of 5 kids right? :) )