Sunday, May 27, 2007

My two cents

First of all, we are proud of ourselves for owning our van. And not like video game "owning" it, but as in we wrote a check for the balance of our loan and paid it all off. 36 months early! Once we pay our tax ammendation (we should have it all saved up by July or August), we'll be able to focus on adding to our emergency fund and plumping up the retirement/college funds that have been a little neglected the past few months and move up a level in our ability to be generous with our things.

Second. We were shocked when our energy bill for the past month was almost half what it normally is. I thought there might be an overall 5% difference, but I never thought we'd save that much consciously being "green". Hanging laundry on the clothesline, compact fluorescent lightbulbs, burning candles at night, and just being very energy aware is what we contribute the savings to. Summer's the PERFECT time to hang out laundry--try it! It's kinda fun. I'm sure neighbors love looking at Dan's black CK undies and my hot pink Vickies collection!

I have more than $4 in change in my wallet for all the brown bags I've been taking to the grocery store and re-using to bag groceries. You get 5 cents back for each bag you bring to reuse...I'm saving up to buy Dan a hybrid...could be a while, honey.

The basement is about 1/2 way sorted, organized, and cleaned. Each night we chip away a little more. The ultimate (as in within the next 5-10 years...maybe sooner?) goal is to totally re-do the basement with some nice bedrooms, a useable bathroom, laundry room, storage and family room then move the kids downstairs and have the main floor all to ourselves. Yeah, that's probably me and the peote pipe spending too much time together...and if Greg's still living down there in 5-10, then Houston, we have a problem.

We've been total math nerds lately trying to make sense of, plan and budget for the church's new insurance plan--our third one in 4 years. Anybody else have a health savings account (HSA)? What are the pitfalls to watch out for and the gloriously wonderful things about it? We need some testimonials...

How are YOU doing on your financial goals? A lot of you have blogged about budgeting, simplicity, paring down, spending less, being more content, living within your means, etc. How are you doing? Whether you've earned a pat on the back or a kick in the pants, do share.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't quite compare my electric/power use at the moment. I should have made the change in the middle of a season rather than in between as the bill cuts in more than a quarter when it's spring or fall. But I'll be interested to see the difference from this summer to last. My laundry line is finally up and I have used it a smidge. Laundry day is mocking me this week...along with planting day.

Which stores give you the 5 cents back? I have been getting the paper bags also but forgetting to bring them with me. I need to keep them stashed in the car. We are planning to bungee cord a bunch of milk crates in the back so everything doesn't roll around so much back there.

I'll be interested to see how our health plan works out as well. I think I'm a little nervous about it just yet.

amelia said...

Congratulations!! We bought line for laundry this weekend. Down here, I can hang my laundry pretty much all year long. I can't wait to see the difference in our energy bill. We also have a rain barrel ready to set up and catch our summer rains. We also will be switching our light bulbs. I'm ecstatic to hear your energy bill was so much lower! I hope we can do the same. Way to go guys!!

Cheeky said...

It's amazing--our gas bill went from $97 to $31. A lot of that is from not needing to use the heater, but also not using the dryer.

Anne--Meijer, D&W, Fam Fare, Forest Hills foods have all given me the 5 cent bag credits. You just have to go through a checker lane as there's no option to do it when you do a self-check lane. We keep a stash of brown bags in the van because I never remember to take them with me.

Oh the health plan....ohhhhhhh the health plan. It's a good thing as long as the church keeps the deductible the same and keeps putting the same or more in each year, but I fear the plan is to do the exact opposite...which is icky pooh. Be positive...be a cheerleader...have faith...be positive...