Tuesday, September 30, 2008

How I do like them apples


My kids and I made some good old fashioned applesauce the new-fangled way today. We borrowed a neighbor's apple peeler/corer/slicer and I cooked the "slinky apples" as my kids were calling them in my electric roaster oven. I never even had to use the potato masher, they just kind of melted into applesauce on their own while we were at the library.

Seriously some of the best stuff on earth.

I love that my kids know and have done the process from picking to peeling (I think I only peeled 4 or 5 apples on the whirley-gig because my kids loved doing it so much!) stirring to tasting. I know exactly what's in that applesauce--apples, water, and some organic cinnamon. And that's IT. No sugar, no high fructose corn syrup. Just a lot of excitement and zeal to give that sauce some sass.

1 comment:

heather said...

mmmmm!!