Thursday, December 21, 2006

Homemummery

I've been feeling a little frustrated at my current station in life. That of being a stay-at-home mom. While snatching a shower this morning, I was thinking it might do my brain some good to try my hand at some poetry writing. I'm not all that creative, so I'd have to mimic someone else's genius.

The first poem that came to mind was "Huswifery". I remembered the title from high school AP English class, but had no idea what the poem was about. Thinking it would be about all the toils and labors of a woman taking care of the home, I thought I'd do a "spoof" and call mine something along the lines of "homemummery".

But when I looked up the poem, I was in for quite a surprise. And a boot to the backside. This is what I needed to be reminded of today. And I cannot spoof it, only hope to mimic it with my life.

Huswifery

by Edward Taylor

Make me, O Lord, thy Spinning Wheele compleat;
Thy Holy Worde my Distaff make for mee.
Make mine Affections thy Swift Flyers neate,
And make my Soule thy holy Spoole to bee.
My Conversation make to be thy Reele,
And reele the yarn thereon spun of thy Wheele.


Make me thy Loome then, knit therein this Twine:
And make thy Holy Spirit, Lord, winde quills:
Then weave the Web thyselfe. The yarn is fine.
Thine Ordinances make my Fulling Mills.
Then dy the same in Heavenly Colours Choice,
All pinkt with Varnish't Flowers of Paradise.


Then cloath therewith mine Understanding, Will,
Affections, Judgment, Conscience, Memory;
My Words and Actions, that their shine may fill
My wayes with glory and thee glorify.
Then mine apparell shall display before yee
That I am Cloathd in Holy robes for glory.

1 comment:

heather said...

beautiful poem. thanks for sharing that.