Wednesday, November 14, 2007

FREE MOVIE! FREE TURKEY!

I’m not usually a coupon-user or gimmick-getter, but this week I was. My neighbor gives us her Sunday paper each week after reading all the sections she’s interested in. I clip coupons, read the comics, study the grocery store ads, then recycle. I don’t use the coupons unless it’s for an item I was already planning to get and it offers me additional savings, but this week I was glad I had clipped and saved all those annoying little bits of paper.


This week at D&W and Spartan Stores, if you purchased 10 General Mills products in one purchase, you would get 2 free tickets to go so Bee Movie. That’s an OK deal–but that’s a lot of [expensive] products. Thankfully, select General Mills cereals and fruit snacks were on sale this week–10 for $20. Still a little pricey, but with additional coupons and my re-used brown bags, I ended up walking out of the store with 9 boxes of cereal, 1 box of fruit snacks, and 2 free tickets (up to $24) to see Bee Movie for $16!

********************CONTEST ALERT!*******************
Now I just have to hive off a friend to go with me to see Bee Movie. If you’re buzzed to see a honey of a film with me for FREE, leave me a comment on this post and pick a number between 1 and 100. I’ll have my antennae up to see who is closest to my number and will get to bee my Bee Movie friend! Contest ends November 20. (Please, no stinging remarks about my waspish use of puns)
*********************************************************

Meijer was also running a special–if you bought a Rival roaster oven for $30, you also got a free chef’s knife and free turkey. I got the roaster oven, but they were sold out of the chef’s knives. I did get the 17 pound turkey, though. Using a $20 Meijer gift card from an ICR taste-test, I left Meijer with a new $45 roaster oven [wish I could brag about the $10 knife too, but oh well] and $25 turkey for just $10 out of my pocket!

Combination and planning. Find a deal, a sale, plus all the coupons you can muster, return soda cans and bottles, re-use brown grocery bags, and you’ll walk away from a store with more stuff and more money!

3 comments:

Jean said...

ooo What great deals!!! That turkey one is amazing! I'm guessing it's over this week.... :(

As for the bee movie...ooo ooo ooo (that's me fidgeting like I have fire ants in my pants with my hand raised in my seat). I pick number....ohhh it's so hard! ummm....number 82.

Thanks for sharing your fantastic deals!

Cheeky said...

The turkey one was indeed last week's. I am cooking the turkey today--actually as it's the last vestige of meat in our home--it'll feed us for a few days as well as make great turkey sandwiches for the road trip.

I'll enter your number into the official plastic container-turned Bee Movie contest number entry holder.

Cheeky said...

Dun-dun-dee-dun. The number sealed in the envelope was 87!

Jill chose 72
Jean chose 82
Bethany chose 56

That makes Jean the winner of the FREE Bee Movie night with me.

Since I only had 2 other people participate in this contest and I always want everyone to feel like a winner, I am also going to invite Jill and Bethany along my treat (well, really my mom's treat--she slipped me some cash and told me to treat myself, and I can't think of a better treat than a movie night with dear friends).

So ladies, we simply need to set a date!